This week we spoke to The Atlantic’s International Editor Prashant Rao about taking The Atlantic’s voice to an international audience, the importance of diversity in writing stories for that audience, and what the global Atlantic angle on coronavirus looks like.
He also talks about The Atlantic’s surge in subscriptions following its decision to take its paywall down on COVID-19 coverage, and why he sees the publication as a ‘second subscription’.
See Prashant’s Brighton Marathon Charity Fundraiser page here, raising money to support freelance journalists hit by the pandemic.
In the news roundup the team discusses subscription success in the face of coronavirus and takes a brisk tour through the week’s news in brief.
Subscriptions during the coronavirus crisis:
- Guardian reports surge in readers’ support over past year
- Magazine subscriptions boom amid the COVID-19 crisis
- Inside the Daily Beast’s corona bump in memberships
- Stylist pivots to digital subscriptions
- The FT is selling its subscription expertise
- FIPP Global Digital Subscription Snapshot 2020 Q2
Republished with kind permission of Media Voices, a weekly look at all the news and views from across the media world.