According to the latest report on E-commerce trends by GroupM, e-commerce related spending on advertising is growing much faster than total digital advertising, and holds implications for both marketers and media owners.
“The increasing importance of e-commerce is two-fold,” the report notes. “It shapes the behaviors of consumers and manufacturers and it also has a significant impact on the media industry because of the different ways advertising is used to support different kinds of e-commerce activity.”
Key takeaways from the report:
E-Commerce is still growing but is decelerating in key markets and will decelerate globally by a couple of percentage points.
- According to data from the U.S. Census Bureau, e-commerce in the United States grew by +14% in 2018 following on a +16% growth rate in 2017. However, growth appears to be decelerating further in 2019 as the sector rose by +12% in the first quarter of this year.
- China’s official government statistics service indicated online retail sales of physical goods were up +25% in 2018 versus +28% in 2017. Sales slowed further in the first quarter, rising +21%.
- Meanwhile, in Europe, trade association Ecommerce Europe estimates +12% growth there in 2018, down from +14% in 2017.
Marketplaces are dominating e-commerce and are growing faster than the overall industry.
With annual spending on e-commerce around the world amounting to $2.9 trillion (on Internet Retailer’s estimates), marketplaces account for a majority of activity and are growing faster than the overall industry.
The top 100 marketplaces generated $1.7 trillion in sales in 2018, up +20% year-over-year, which followed on 34% growth during 2017 for a similar group of entities.
E-commerce-related spending on advertising is growing much faster than total digital advertising.
- Amazon accelerated its spending on advertising during 2018 as well, with +30% growth last year vs. +26% growth in 2017.
- A composite of eBay, Wayfair, Stich Fix, Etsy and Overstock increased spending on advertising by +23% during 2018 after expanding by +19% in 2018.
- Looking only at Wayfair, Stich Fix, Etsy and Overstock, advertising growth was +45% in 2018 after growth of +38% in 2017.
As e-commerce takes on greater importance, implications for media owners follow.
Download WNIP’s comprehensive new report—50 Ways to Make Media Pay—an essential read for publishers looking at the multiple revenue opportunities available, whether it’s to reach new audiences or double down on existing super-users. The report is free and can be downloaded here.