Last week AOP showcased the UK digital publishing industry’s top talent in the virtual debut of its prestigious annual Digital Publishing Awards.
In what has been a difficult year, and with more challenges on the horizon, the event presented an important opportunity to honour the best in the industry and to recognise the positives that have been accomplished over the last 12 months. More than a celebration, the awards provided a chance to inspire and motivate the publishing industry with achievements that embody the spirit of innovation and recognise the catalysts for change that are needed to help adapt to, navigate and overcome the uncertainty facing many in our industry.
For the very first time in its 18-year history, the event moved to an online platform and winners were revealed by sponsors direct from their living rooms. Organised in partnership with PubMatic, and hosted by comedian and Mash Report star Ellie Taylor, the celebration recognised the successes of individuals, publishers, advertisers, agencies and suppliers in the setting of the highest standards for digital publishing excellence.
Keeping in line with the current climate and the emphasis on exploring new ways to connect with audiences, AOP was keen to bring some of the atmosphere to those watching remotely. Host interactions went beyond the live audience as those watching from their homes and offices were also able to participate via a virtual photobooth and gif creator – helping to make the digital event an engaging experience akin to a live television show.
This year’s digital endeavours were not limited to the afternoon of the ceremony. The build-up to the awards also marked the launch of The Finalist’s Guide to Digital Excellence video series, where highly acclaimed finalists shared their insights and experience to help inspire the digital publishing sector.
What is clear, is that we can take a lot from this year’s winners – in the face of adversity there is always an opportunity to learn and be creative.
AOP Digital Publishing Award Winners 2020
- Best Podcast Strategy: Film Stories
- Best Use of Video: Saving The Planet Through Snapchat, VICE UK
- Digital Editor of the Year: James Murray – Business Green, Incisive Media
- Digital Editorial Team of the Year: B2B: edie, Faversham House
- Digital Editorial Team of the Year: Consumer: VICE UK
- Digital Journalist of the Year (Sponsored by EX.CO): George Driver – ELLE Digital Beauty Editor, Hearst UK
- The Local Hero Award for Regional Digital Journalism (Sponsored by Google News Initiative): Winner: Robyn Vinter – Yorkshire Post
- Best Commercial Partnership (Sponsored by Lewis Silkin): What Car? TrueMPG & Nissan LEAF, Haymarket Automotive Studio
- Best Creative Solutions Led / Content Marketing Campaign: The Instant Edit: Mail Metro Media For Matalan, Mail Metro Media
- Best Media Technology Partner: Ozone Project & Beeswax Fight For A Fairer Future For Premium Publishers, Beeswax
- Best Diversification of Commercial Strategy (Sponsored by Deloitte): Marie Claire UK, Future
- Digital Advertising Operations Team of the Year (Sponsored by Google): Global Media & Entertainment
- Digital Sales Person of the Year: Jack Ellis – Haymarket Automotive
- Digital Sales Team of the Year: Nowse Sales Team, Dennis Publishing
- Audience Development Team of the Year: The Telegraph
- Best Digital Publishing Innovation (Sponsored by Xandr): Building The Digital Advertising Environment Of The Future, The Ozone Project
- Best Research / Insight Project (Sponsored by UKOM): The Times & The Sunday Times Content Review, News UK
- Best Use of Data (Sponsored by LiveRamp): Article Quality Scoring Algorithm, Call Centre Helper (Clearly Presented Ltd)
- Digital Publishing Rising Star 2020: Charlie Celino – News UK
- Product Development Team of the Year: JPIMedia
- The Digital Publishing Award for Employer Excellence (Sponsored by Project 23): Incisive Media
- Best Online Brand: B2B: edie, Faversham House
- Best Online Brand: Consumer: Readly
- Small Digital Publisher of the Year: Open Library of Humanities
- Best Digital Publishing Company: B2B: Incisive Media
- Best Digital Publishing Company: Consumer: News UK
Further details about the AOP Digital Publishing Awards 2020 can be found at https://www.ukaop.org/awards-winners/2020-winners/
Richard Reeves, Managing Director at Association for Online Publishers (AOP)